Sunday, February 14, 2010

The leather bag

I've been a vegetarian for something close to 18 years, although it took many years to evolve, so probably more like 13 good solid years. I still eat (or ate) fish on occasion, so I guess that makes me a pescatarian. I've thought about going vegan for a while, but wasn't sure I could really do it, and am still not sure. But I do know this, that I'm going to try and that I'm at least going to become more vegan. This blog is merely a record.

This all really started with a new handbag. I needed a new purse and looked and looked and looked. I fought with the thought of buying leather. Don't get me wrong, I have leather shoes, but as my vegetarianism evolves, I think more and more about every decision. In the beginning, I still ate white meat and considered picking the pepperoni off of my pizza ok. A few years later I gave up the white meat too and read labels more closely. I've always been really aware of buying cosmetics, cleaning products etc. that are not tested on animals as well. So anyway, I bought the leather bag. I even called my husband from the store, distressed about buying it. He said that everyone does what they can and I'm doing my part and I'm the one who has to live with carrying it. Turns out, I feel so bad about it that I'm going vegan. This happens to coincide with some other issues; like a few pounds I can't lose and getting past a cancer threat.

So, I know that this is going to be a process and I'm still figuring out the rules for me. I decided week one to give up obvious dairy. No more cheese or eggs. I already drink only soy milk. I think I'll try for a couple of days a week pure vegan and the rest without the obvious culprits and maybe a day here and there where I just let myself eat cheese. I had pizza last night for instance. It will be interesting to see how it evolves. I may be strict vegan in a few weeks or longer, or never, I just don't know yet, but I know I will be more vegan than not. This week means no more butter and reading labels more closely. I love that being vegan means more vegetables by default, I need that.

No comments:

Post a Comment